PEN-FAST - Penicillin Allergy Risk Tool
Clinical decision rule for point-of-care risk assessment of patient-reported penicillin allergies.
The PEN-FAST penicillin allergy clinical decision rule enables point-of-care risk assessment of patient-reported penicillin allergies. It requires three clinical criteria:
- Time (five years or less) from penicillin allergy episode (2 points)
- Phenotype (anaphylaxis/angioedema OR SCAR) (2 points)
- Treatment required for penicillin allergy episode (1 point)
The risk of a positive penicillin allergy test can be accurately predicted from these criteria:
- 0 points – Very low risk of positive penicillin allergy test <1%
- 1-2 points – Low risk of positive penicillin allergy test 5%
- 3 points – Moderate risk of positive penicillin allergy test 20%
- 4 points – High risk of positive penicillin allergy test 50%
Trubiano JA, Vogrin S, Chua KYL et al.