Effective as of: January 1st, 2020
QxMD wants to demonstrate its commitment to your privacy and therefore discloses its information and privacy practices.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you should contact privacy@QxMD.com.
‘Calculate by QxMD’, also known as ‘QxCalculate’, and ‘Pedi STAT’ were created to enable physicians and other health care professionals to discover and learn about the best decision support and prognostic tools available, in order to improve the provision of healthcare. In order to achieve this objective, QxMD provides an app and website that provides personalized access to this content.
‘Read by QxMD’ was created to enable physicians and other health care professionals to discover and share the best of the medical and scientific literature. By doing so, they can spend more time reading the literature and thereby make better clinical & scientific decisions. In order to achieve this objective, QxMD provides an app, website and email service that provides personalized content delivery and encourages registrants to share the content they have collected.
‘Learn by QxMD’ was created to enable physicians and other health care professionals to discover and share the best medical education, both online and live. In order to achieve this objective, QxMD provides a website and email service that provides personalized access to this content.
QxMD may collects personal information that you submit on the registration pages of the app and website (such as your name, email address, professional credentials, job description, country of practice, zip or postal code, clinical/research interests and preferred scientific journals) and is the sole owner of said information. This type of required information is clearly identified when requested.
You have the option to submit the credentials used to access personal or institutional journal subscriptions – by doing so, you will be able to access subscription content more easily. These credentials are stored in an encrypted fashion and are never shared with any other users or QxMD staff. All other optional personal information is provided entirely at your discretion.
QxMD also collects information generated as you interact within our app & website (such as your browser type, mobile device type, IP address, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, tools utilized and time spent using each tool). Certain information of this type is stored using “cookies”. A cookie is a piece of data stored on a user’s device or computer tied to information about that user. We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. We use session cookies to make it easier for you to navigate our site. A session ID cookie expires when you close you browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can block or remove persistent cookies by following directions provided in your internet browser’s “help” file.
We do not link the information we store in cookies to any personally identifiable information you submit while on our website.
A number of features within the apps & websites may allow you to post personal information and/or content that will be viewable by other users. As such, when posting any content, article titles, article comments or article tags you should not reveal anything that you want to keep private. Be aware that any personally identifying information posted on the site may be used to contact you.
We may use ‘session replay’ technology to continue to improve your experience with QxMD applications. This technology captures events as you interact with QxMD applications and those events are later compiled into a video representation of your session. No recording of the view on your device occurs and only events from QxMD applications are recorded. Session data is stored securely by a third party provider and any identifiable information is masked by that third party.
Continuing Medical Education
If you elect to collect Continuing Medical Education (CME) or Continuing Education (CE) credit, you may be asked to provide personally identifiable information such as your name, zip code and NPI. In addition to personally identifiable information, aggregated non-personally identifiable information about the activities undertaken by CME/CE participants is recorded. Information that you provide in connection with your participation in CME activities, either when registering or requesting credit, may be used as follows:
QxMD partners with educational organizations such as those accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing education to physicians. Your personally identifiable information is shared with our CME partner(s) who certify CME/CE activities offered, as necessary for their fulfillment of their reporting obligations to the ACCME and other accrediting bodies. These reports may include personally identifiable information about you and credits issued to you, for the purpose of maintaining records and contacting you about additional CME opportunities.
QxMD may use personally identifiable information, including registration information and evaluation data, in assessing educational needs and evaluating its educational activities.
Use of Information Collected
When you register on the apps or websites, the information you provide forms the basis of your personal profile. This information is stored by QxMD primarily to provide you with personalized content delivery and facilitate interactions amongst other users of the apps and websites. Data is stored as long as you are a registered user of our service, but removed upon your request.
A secondary use of this information is to allow QxMD to target specific advertising to you. For example, a member that identifies his/herself as an ophthalmologist may receive specific advertisements that differ from those that appear to a member identified as a neurologist.
We use analytics tools to track anonymized user data on how the app and website are used. This data is used for internal review and to optimize the user experience.
We may share some kinds of personally identifiable information with third parties as described below.
- Market Research: From time to time, we may invite you to participate in sponsored or unsponsored market research surveys. We may provide aggregate information from the survey results to third parties including the survey sponsor, if applicable. If you receive payment for participating in a sponsored survey, we may be required to provide the sponsor with personally identifiable information about you for its record keeping and regulatory reporting purposes. We will not provide any sponsor with your survey responses on an identifiable basis unless we obtain your consent prior to your participation in the survey. If you participate in a survey administered by a third party market research company, this company may identify you when you participate in the survey. We require these companies to agree that they will not provide the survey sponsor with personally identifiable information about you based on your participation in the survey, nor will they market to you based on such participation.
- Sponsored Content: When you engage with content on the QxMD platform, you may be presented with advertisements, promoted research and/or opportunities to engage in industry-sponsored informational programs consisting of sponsor-selected materials. All sponsored content and advertisements will be identified to you by the label Promoted, Advertisement, Information from Industry, Sponsored or some similar designation indicating that the content has been selected by a third-party sponsor.
- When you choose to engage with sponsored content, you may be asked to provide personally identifiable information which may be used to supplement information about you that we have already received during member registration.
- The personally identifiable information that you provide when you engage with sponsored content will be used to provide the services you have requested or authorized, respond to your questions, provide you the specific services you select and to send you emails about new programs and selected information from our sponsors as it relates to your specialty or area of clinical practice. You may also receive invitations to engage with other sponsored content from the same sponsor. When you are exposed to sponsored content or an advertisement through the Services, QxMD may identify you by name to the sponsor. We may also provide the sponsor with your specialty and country where you reside, based on your registration profile. We will not provide a sponsor with your personal contact information such as email or postal address. We are not responsible for how the sponsor and its agents use your information and manage your privacy. Further, we may use non-personally identifiable information for research purposes, and we may provide this information in the aggregate to third parties.
Protection of Information Collected
QxMD follows generally accepted industry standard security measures to protect your information. To ensure that your personal information is protected, QxMD relies on Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information that you input. SSL is the industry standard used to protect sensitive and personal information as it passes over the web. The Calculate by QxMD user content and data, including each user’s personal information, is hosted on a physically, electronically and administratively secure server. In order to access your account, we require that you create a password. If you believe your user information has been lost or stolen, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond within 10 business days.
If you request it, QxMD will tell you what personal information we hold about you and how we process it and we will provide you with a copy of that information. You are also entitled to access, rectify, change, update, delete, revoke, or improve upon your personal information at any time. You can exercise this right free of charge. We may ask you to provide further information to confirm your identity before considering your request. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com.
For purposes of providing the Services, QxMD may transfer your Personal User Information (including User-Provided Information) to servers located in the United States or other countries outside of the European Economic Area which provide for a different level of data protection. By using and continuing to use the Services, you agree to that transfer.
The Personal User Information we hold is used solely for the purposes of operating the Services and communicating with you. We will not provide Personal User Information, unless anonymized and aggregated, to any third parties, other than service providers acting on our behalf to assist in running the Services. The information we request from you is mandatory unless indicated otherwise and is necessary to enable QxMD to provide you with the Services. You are also entitled to object to any processing of your personal data on reasonable grounds.
We reserve the right to disclose your Personal User Information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on our apps or sites.
Access to Information Collected
If you wish to modify your personal information or change/delete the optional information in your profile that is viewable by other users, you can do so at any time by logging onto the site and/or app and accessing your account.
If you wish to remove your account from the QxMD database you can do so by contacting QxMD at privacy@QxMD.com. You will receive a response within 10 business days. Removed information may continue in backup servers for a reasonable period of time based on industry best practices but will no longer be viewable by other users. If you lose your password or believe it has been stolen, you can reset it via the website or app and a temporary password will be provided to your email on file.
When you sign up for a QxMD account, you will be subscribe to QxMD informational newsletters, and we will use your name and email address to send the newsletters to you. At the footer of each email a link is provided to allow you a way to easily unsubscribe. When we have new personalized content that you have indicated you want to be alerted about, you will receive an email notification. You have the option to control if such emails are sent out.
We may participate in Facebook’s Custom Audience or similar programs offered by Google, Twitter, LinkedIn or other similar services which enables us to display personalized ads to persons on our email lists or who have visited our websites or apps. We provide hashed Personal Information such as your email address to determine if you are a registered account holder with one of these services. Custom Audiences can be used to provide reminders of Learn courses you may be interested in, Learn courses you have yet to complete, invitations to read Promoted Research, or invitations to engage with decision support tools hosted in the Calculate by QxMD app.
You may opt-out of participation in Custom Audiences by sending an email, from the email address you are opting out of, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Personalized And Behavioral Advertising Services.
We may participate in additional retargeting and behavioral advertising services that will be similar to the services described above.
Children and Parents
Calculate by QxMD is not designed for children, and certainly not for children less than 16 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information of children under 16 and will delete any information associated with underage users.
Notice to Residents of California
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. For more information relevant to our users who are California residents, please click here.
Additional Terms for Residents of the United Kingdom, Norway, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Turkey, The Russian Federation, South America, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and The European Union
If you are a resident of the United Kingdom, Norway, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Turkey, the Russian Federation, South America, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, or the European Union, legislation permits you to request that we tell you what personal information we hold about you and how we process it and that we provide you with a copy of that information. You are also entitled to access, rectify, change, update, delete, revoke, or improve upon your personal information at any time. You can exercise this right free of charge. We may ask you to provide further information to confirm your identity before considering your request. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com or write to us at 62 19th Avenue E, Vancouver, BC, Canada V5V 1H7.
For purposes of providing the Services, QxMD may transfer your Personal User Information (including User-Provided Information) to servers located in the United States or other countries outside of the European Economic Area/Ukraine which provide for a different level of data protection. By using and continuing to use the Services, you agree to that transfer.
The Personal User Information we hold is used solely for the purposes of operating the Services and communicating with you. We will not provide Personal User Information, unless anonymized and aggregated, to any third parties, other than service providers acting on our behalf to assist in running the Services. The information we request from you is mandatory unless indicated otherwise and is necessary to enable QxMD. to provide you with the Services. You are also entitled to object to any processing of your personal data on reasonable grounds.
If you are a resident of Ukraine, you are hereby informed that QxMD. shall be your personal data controller, processing information defined as User-Provided Information and Automatically Collected Information. Apart from the rights listed in this section above, you also have the following rights as regards personal data protection:
- the right to be aware of the collecting sources, location of your personal data, processing purpose, location and/or place of residence (location) of the controller or the processor of your personal data, or to give the respective instruction to obtain such information to authorized parties, except the cases, established by law;
- the right to obtain the information about the terms for granting access to your personal data, including the information on the third parties to whom your personal data is transferred;
- the right to obtain no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the moment of the request submission, except for the cases, established by law, a response regarding whether your personal data is processed, as well as to obtain the content of your personal data currently processed;
- the right to protect your personal data from illegal processing and unintended loss, damage resulting from purposeful concealment, nondisclosure or untimely disclosure, as well as to protect the information that is inaccurate, or discrediting honor, dignity and business reputation of the individual;
- the right to claim for the protection of your rights with respect to your personal data to the Parliament Commissioner of Ukraine on Protection of Human Rights or court;
- the right to bring the means of legal protection in case of violation of personal data protection legislation;
- to make a reservation with regard to restrictions of the right to processing your personal data when granting consent to your personal data processing;
- to withdraw your consent for personal data processing;
- to know the mechanism of automatic personal data processing;
- to be protected from an automated decision that has legal consequences for you.
Additional Terms For Residents of Australia, New Zealand, China, India, Israel, Japan, and South Africa
If you are a resident of the Australia, New Zealand, China, India, Israel, Japan, or South Africa privacy legislation permits you to request that we tell you what personal information we hold about you and provide you with a copy of that information. You also have the right to request that we correct your personal information if it is inaccurate, out-of-date, or incomplete. We may ask you to provide further information to confirm your identity before considering your request. To make an access and/or correction request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at 62 19th Avenue E, Vancouver, BC V5V 1H7.
It is not mandatory or legally required for you to provide us with any of your personal information. However, if you do not provide the information that we ask for, you may not be able to access and use all of the Services features available to users.
QxMD may transfer your personal data to servers located in other countries for purposes of providing the Services. By using and continuing to use the Services, you agree to that transfer. If you are an Australian resident, you acknowledge that by providing your consent to the transfer to servers located outside Australia, we are not required to take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is handled in accordance with Australian privacy law.
If you are a user in China, if you notice any personal information leakage or otherwise have any complaint about the protection of your personal information, please contact email@example.com. We will respond within ten (10) days of the receipt of your email.
Additional Terms for Residents of South Korea
If you are a resident of South Korea, we will collect and use your User-Provided Information and Automatically Collected Information (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Personal Information,”) after your express prior consent.
It is not mandatory for you to provide us with any of your Personal Information. However, if you do not provide the information that we ask for, you may not be able to access and use all or parts of the Service’s features available to users.
The Personal Information Protection Act and Act on Promotion of Information and Communications Network Utilizations and Information Protection permit you to request that we tell you what Personal Information we hold about you, how we process it, and that we provide you with a copy of that information. You are also entitled to access, rectify, change, update, delete, revoke, or improve upon your Personal Information at any time. You can exercise this right free of charge. To make an access and/or correction request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at 62 19th Avenue E, Vancouver, BC, V5V 1H7.
The contact details of our Privacy Officer in charge of protecting and managing your Personal Information, and handling inquiries and complaints concerning Personal Information, are as follows:
- Name of Department: Privacy
- Contact Information: email@example.com
All of your Personal Information will be stored, processed, and transmitted after encryption.
You may block cookies by activating settings on the browser that allow you to refuse the settings of all or some cookies.
When we destroy Personal Information, we will take commercially reasonable and technically possible measures to ensure that the information is not restored or regenerated. If we need to retain Personal Information instead of destroying it, we will store and manage such Personal Information or the Personal Information file separately from other Personal Information, to the extent technically possible. If the Personal Information that needs to be destroyed is in the form of an electronic file, we will permanently delete such information in an irrevocable manner. Any other document, printout, letter, and other recorded media will be destroyed by incinerating or shredding.
Last update January 1, 2020.