Assess disease activity in Ankylosing Spondylitis
The Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Index (BASDAI) disease activity questionnaire contains six questions regarding subjective symptoms during the week prior to answering the questions.
- 1. How would you describe the overall level of fatigue/tiredness you have experienced?
- 2. How would you describe the overall level of AS neck, back, or hip pain you have had?
- 3. How would you describe the overall level of pain/swelling in joints other than neck, back, hips you have had?
- 4. How would you describe the level of discomfort you have had from an area tender to touch or pressure?
- 5. How would you describe the level of morning stiffness you have had from the time you wake up?
- 6. How long does your morning stiffness last from the time you wake up?
Each question is scored on a scale of 0 to 10. Aside from the last question, 0 indicates none and 10 indicate very severe. For the last question, 0 is 0 hours, 5 is one hour, and 10 is two or more hours.
To calculate the BASDAI score, the forumula is:
BASDAI = ((Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4) + ((Q5 + Q6) / 2)) / 5
Garrett S, Jenkinson T, Kennedy LG, Whitelock H, Gaisford P, Calin A.
Journal of Rheumatology 1994, 21 (12): 2286-91
The BASDAI calculator is created by QxMD.